USM INKS MoU WITH BLUE PLANET TO PUSH SUSTAINABILITY AGENDA FURTHER
USM PENANG, 12 September 2023 – Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) has recently taken steps to strengthen its ties with Blue Planet Environmental Solutions Pte. Ltd. with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
The collaboration with Blue Planet is an opportunity to explore more initiatives towards realising the university's sustainability agenda, especially in the field of waste management.
Among the activities that have been agreed upon through this collaboration are:
- Research collaboration which includes joint research, student supervision, research publication and others;
- Academic cooperation such as short courses, seminars and conferences;
- Staff and student mobility programmes that include visits, exchange, and attachment programmes;
- Other activities that can be explored further and that would benefit both parties.
Signing on behalf of USM was the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Dato' Ir. Dr. Abdul Rahman Mohamed while Blue Planet Environmental Solutions Pte. Ltd. was represented by its Chief Executive Officer, Harsh Mehrotra.
Abdul Rahman expressed that collaborations like this will certainly promote USM to be relevant and dominant in its pursuit to drive the sustainability agenda both at the national, regional, and international fronts.
“I would also like to congratulate the USM Centre for Global Sustainability Studies (CGSS) for its efforts and commitment in ensuring that USM's sustainability agenda is strengthened through collaboration with strategic stakeholders,” he said.
USM is a university that places great emphasis on sustainability with the aim of ‘Transforming Higher Education’ to impact stakeholders and communities, and contribute towards achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Meanwhile, Harsh said that this MoU provides the opportunity to explore more opportunities in other countries. Blue Planet Environmental Solutions Pte. Ltd. is currently embarking on:
- Demographic and population forecast, which are linked to urbanisation and its effects on waste quantity generation and characterisation;
- Income levels and regulations effects on waste management and treatment solutions;
- Policy framework of local governance in South East Asia for waste management;
- Waste recycling procedures and facilities, and actual disposal of waste in various recycled products;
- Study of total waste generation, its environmental effects and the opportunity cost spent by the Government on present disposal methods;
- Study of market availability through different industries and applications for by-products like RDF, Biogas, Compost and recyclable materials that are produced after the segregation and processing of waste from different technologies.
The signing of this MoU today symbolises a partnership that will further boost the university-industry cooperation on both sides.
Also present from USM were CGSS Director, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohd Wira Mohd Shafiei and Kampus Sejahtera Coordinator, Ahmad Wafi Sahedan.
Text: Siti Fatimah Abu Mansor/Photo: Mohd Fairus Md Isa/Infographic: Muhamad Ihsan Abu Bakar
- Created on .
- Hits: 325