PENANG, 20 September 2020 - The Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) Science and Art Innovation Space, SAINS@ALOR SETAR and the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health Certification (NIOSHCERT) has developed a professional development series course in industry and sustainability, in response to an ever-increasing demand for such a course.
It was specially developed as a life-long learning initiative to cater for fresh graduates, young executives and educators at all levels who want to enhance their career performance objectively and systematically to drive the sustainability agenda in their organisations and communities, says Head of Business Management and Sustainability Programme, SAINS@ALOR SETAR, Associate Professor Ts. Dr. Muhammad Izzuddin Syakir Ishak.
“Furthermore, it provides a golden opportunity to upskill oneself, especially to make oneself more marketable during a career transition or job search, and the best part is it can be done online from home during the Covid-19 pandemic period,” said Muhammad Izzuddin who teaches the Environmental Technology Programme at the USM School of Industrial Technology.
Six modules are offered under the professional development series in industry and sustainability, namely:
- Business Analytics
- Finance and Accounting Essentials
- Business Continuity Management
- Occupational Safety and Health (ISO 45001:2018)
- Environmental Management System (ISO 14001:2015)
- Life Cycle Assessment (ISO 14040:2006)
Programme manager, Ts. Mohamad Shaiful Md Yusuff, added that each module comprises of 9 series of sub modules; Series 1 is currently ongoing, starting from 5 September 2020 to 10 October 2020 for all the said modules.
“Modules are prepared and taught in English and Bahasa Malaysia by the USM School of Management and School of Industrial Technology, as well as NIOSH Certification Sdn. Bhd.,” he added.
The overall objectives of the programme are to:
1. LEARN to analyse financial and non-financial information to support business decision-making activities;
2. ACQUIRE skill to transform data into business insights;
3. GAIN knowledge on how to build business resilience in times of uncertainty;
4. UNDERSTAND related management system and life cycle perspectives based on ISO standards for the sustainability of people, environment, and businesses.
Text: Tan Ewe Hoe